Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Kek Lok Si Experience 2nd time



Wow, it took 20 minutes to drive to Kek Lok Si Temple, a place where people can find something belonging to spiritual values. Last time in March, the bus dropped us at the bottom of the temple and we took 30 minutes walking up about tens of stairs, and then we reach the top. People are building a temple of Lady Buddha there. It is a temple I often see in Chinese movies, looking like "Thieu Lam Tu - Shaolin Temple". It is really something worthy seeing. They have different blocks in KLS, where Buddhas are worshipped, where monks stay, where reserves very unique ancient architecture, where there is a tower of 7 storeys... The monks there are appealing for donations to build the temple of Lady Buddha, just behind the main center. The way they seek for donation is critical. They have available proof brick of different size and nonators will get their bricks and the size of brick will be up to their donation: 30 RM, 50 RM, 100 RM... then donators write down their names or their wished names on, bring the bricks into the worship and pray for what they want. That's it.
Today I took the cab there and I didnot have to walk up stairs. The driver was so kind to drive me straightly to the top, where the construction is on. By so doing, I saved lots of time. Still do I remember last time EDS guided us up and down the temple thru stairs where there are so many souvenirs shops along the way and we stopped by on the way down to buy things. Sellers there offer you a so "special" price that you MUST use your bargaining power! Still do I remember one seller offered one of us a small souvenir of Twin Tower/ symbol of KL/ Malaysia @ 40 RM, then she said "I will just charge you 25 RM". My friend said "20" and she asked "how many". My friend said "4" then deal was done! I did not buy anything but observed. Others came down and stop. I told them the story of bargaining and one guy bought 6 items @ 10 RM each! Another person came down and had 2 items @ 6 RM each. Finally it was my turn and I just paid up 6 RM for 2. Wow, how experienced! But that's the way it goes and c'est la vie! Business is business. Traders want to sell at high price as possible. Buyers want to get things at low price as possibe. When they have the same voice, deals will be done. It might be good for sellers and might be good for buyers. Actually it is good for both when deal is done. Sellers think they can make some profits and buyers think they have minimized their loss. Fair.

If anyone coming to Penang but not yet vising Kek Lok Si Temple and experiencing bargaining, I do think it's not fair for that person and he/she might miss a good chance. Come, explore and experience...

No comments:

Post a Comment